My good pal who is not a vegetarian or vegan gave me this recipe. I think I’ll try it out this weekend, she said it was DELICIOUS beyond words and said I just had to try it. Send me your comments if you end up making it before I do, otherwise I’ll update the post as soon as I can – including pictures!!
The recipe SHOULD turn out something like the picture I found here above.
If you have a great vegan meatloaf ingredient, please feel free to post your ideas in the comments below. I just love having options for comfort food that’s high in protein and delicious. Any ideas for subs on this recipe would be welcome as well.
NUT LOAF INGREDIENTS
* 2 large onions, finely chopped
* 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
* 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 3 cups grated carrots
* 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
* 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
* 1/4 cup unsalted sunflower kernels
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 3 cups soft whole wheat bread crumbs
Egg substitute: Use either 5 TBSP of ground flax with 15 TBSP water, mixed, and sit so the flax can absorb or… egg replacement. (I’ve used both)
1. In a nonstick skillet, saute onions, mushrooms and green pepper in butter until tender. In a bowl, combine the mushroom mixture, carrots, celery, eggs substitute or flax mixture, walnut, sunflower kernels, salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Stir in bread crumbs:
2. Coat a 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray, then line with waxed paper. Transfer vegetable mixture to a prepared pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees F Let stand for 10 min before slicing.